Level 1/2 Vocational Award in Engineering
The Level 1/2 vocational award in engineering is a two year course in which students learn all about the engineering sector and develop their own skills in using engineering to solve real life problems.
Students need to be practical, logical, careful, organised and must be able to work independently.
- Learn about all aspects of engineering including different career paths
- Learn why engineers choose certain materials and components to make products
- Investigate how products are made
- Identify best practice when it comes to safety and risk management
- Develop research, observation, recording, interpretation and measuring skills
- Plan, reproduce and test an engineered product
- Create a prototype that meets a manufacturing specification
- Record, analyse and evaluate data and outcomes.
Components 1 and 2 are coursework style projects. Internally assessed 75%
Component 3 is a written exam. Externally assessed 25%
Further Education and Career Opportunities:
Students may go on to study A Level Product Design at Brookfield Community School.
Chesterfield College also offers a wide range of related courses at Levels 1-3 including engineering, manufacturing, construction and product design.
Students may also progress from this course into vocational opportunities, such as apprenticeships or Level 3 BTEC.
Career possibilities include a wide range of careers in the engineering, manufacturing, and construction industries, product & industrial design, computer aided design, architecture and interior design.
This course will be studied over two option blocks to enable students an extended opportunity to develop their practical skills. This will mean that students who choose this course will complete 8 qualifications at the end of Y11, rather than 9. Time will also be allocated for students to develop study skills and have additional support from other core subjects.
Examining Board: Wjec
Contact: Mr T Fagan